by Jeffrey W. Hamilton
Text: Luke 9:23-26
I. What kind of religion do you have? How is your faith expressed?
A. Acts 5:42 - The early Christians had a daily religion
B. It seems today that many have a once a week, once a month, or even a once a year religion
C. Even in the Old Testament, the worshipers offered sacrifices on a daily basis.
1. Even with this daily reminder, they still strayed from God
2. Some Christians believe they can be more faithful remembering God once a week.
D. Let us learn from the past - Romans 15:4
E. The giving of ourselves to God is our reasonable service - Romans 12:1
II. What do you do each day?
A. Daily prayer
1. Romans 12:12 - Devote, steadfast, instant in prayer
2. The wicked are active day and night - Psalms 55:9-11
a. So David counters by praying to God morning, noon, and evening - Psalms 55:16-17
3. I Thessalonians 5:17-18 - Pray without giving up
4. Ephesians 6:18 - Pray all kinds of prayers on all occasions
B. Daily study
1. Wisdom and instruction comes by daily looking for them - Proverbs 8:33-35
2. The Jews wanted to know if Jesus was the Christ. His answer - search the Scriptures - John 5:39
3. The Bereans did this with Paul’s teachings of Christ - Acts 17:11
4. Paul told Timothy to give diligence to word of God - II Timothy 2:15
5. How much time do we devote to secular learning? Can a child grow up with only 104 hours of book learning per year? Can we grow up on the same?
C. Daily evangelism
1. Paul taught the Ephesians day and night for three years - Acts 20:31
2. The early Christians were in the temple every day - Acts 2:46
D. Daily exhortation
1. Hebrews 10:24-25 - Exhort to good works at every opportunity
2. Hebrews 3:13 - Exhort daily less we fall into unbelief
3. Paul’s labor among the Thessalonians - I Thessalonians 2:9-12
E. Daily service to others
1. Acts 6:1 - The church took care of its needy daily
2. Galatians 2:10 - Encouraged to remember the poor
3. James 1:27 - Visit the widows and orphans
4. I John 3:17-18 - If we cannot do so, why expect God’s help?
F. Daily cross bearing - Luke 9:23
1. Jesus was perfected through sufferings - Hebrews 2:10
2. We must suffer with him - II Timothy 2:11-13
3. II Corinthians 4:8-11 - Always bearing sufferings to manifest Christ
4. Matthew 10:38 - Unless we are willing to bear the cross, we are not worthy of Christ
III. Our daily service will produce daily results
A. Acts 16:5 - Churches were established and grew daily
B. Acts 2:47 - Christians were added daily.
C. Sometimes we think today is different, but have we served as they once did? Are we giving God our all? Then how can we know if it doesn’t work the same way today?