Text: Proverbs 6:16-19
I. Some people are not satisfied with the way things are.
A. They want people to change, but they go about it the wrong way.
B. They are missing any love for their brethren
II. Gossiping and Talebearing
A. Talking about other people.
B. People who engage in it have too much time on their hands
1. II Thessalonians 3:11 - A lack of work
2. I Timothy 5:12-13 - A lack of purpose
C. People like to gossip
1. Gossip is like juicy tidbits - Proverbs 18:8
a. Easy to swallow
b. But it changes you and how you see others
2. It feeds your pride to know that others are worse off than you.
3. But we shouldn't be comparing ourselves with others, but with God's word - II Corinthians 10:10-18
a. Yes, even Paul had problems with people gossiping about him
b. Talebearing tears down the people being talked about
4. If you are comparing yourself to others, you need others to be less than you.
a. Few people compare themselves with a successful person.
D. Talebearing is a cause of strife among brethren - Proverbs 26:20-22
E. It is a sin listed along with murderers and thieves - I Peter 4:15
1. It kills a persons reputation
2. It steals away a person’s respect
F. Gossips don’t bother to go to the person being talked about
1. Their purpose isn’t to improve people - Ephesians 4:29
2. Their intention is not to correct a problem
3. It is malice toward another person - Colossians 3:8
III. Can't keep a secret, can't keep a friend
A. Talebearers reveal secrets - Proverbs 11:13; 20:19
B. When you repeat a matter, you separate friends - Proverbs 17:9
1. Even when a close friend doesn’t believe the gossip, it still can leave an burr of doubt in the back of his mind
2. Every little problem the comes up in the future makes him wonder, “Perhaps it really is true.”
IV. Even when there is nothing wrong, people will make things up to tear you down.
A. The ungodly digs up evil and sows strife - Proverbs 16:27-28
1. Think about the gossip columnists.
2. Though today it seems news reports are fill more with gossip than facts
B. Talk behind others back comes from hatred - Psalms 41:7
C. Hating your brother is wrong - I John 4:19-21
D. Whispering is listed in the sins of a decayed society - Romans 1:29
E. God will cut off the slanderer - Psalms 101:5
F. To continue, knowing God's opinion is foolish - Proverbs 10:18
V. We need to put a stop to such talk
A. Put away evil talk - Ephesians 4:31-32; I Peter 2:1
B. Don't speak evil of a brother - James 4:11
C. Don't speak evil of anyone - Titus 3:1-2
D. Notice that teaching is the most effective preventative - II Corinthians 12:19-20
E. Keep your minds occupied with the things of God, not man.