by Jeffrey W. Hamilton
Text: Psalms 89:1-16
I. Hebrews 12:28-29 - Offer service to God with reverence and godly fear
A. Reverence means
1. “A feeling of profound awe and respect and often love; veneration.”
2. The word literally means “with downcast eyes” or bashfulness.
B. Psalms 2:11 - Serve God with fear, rejoice with trembling
C. Psalms 89:5-15 - Hold God in reverence.
D. I Peter 1:17 - Conduct our time here in fear.
E. How do we accomplish this? What does it mean to hold God in reverence?
II. We can learn from the respect we give to those over us
A. Ephesians 6:5-6 - Servants are to give obedience to their masters
1. A servant who drags his feet at every command doesn’t give his master respect.
2. What would you think of an employee who grumbled over each request, even though he eventually accomplishes the matter?
3. How long would someone remain employed when each task given becomes a mental wrestling match?
4. Consider that we work for God
B. Leviticus 19:32 - The aged are to be respected
1. Age is a crown of glory - Proverbs 16:31
2. We are to respect the wisdom gained from years of experience
a. We can benefit from their advice if we just listen
3. God has lived for eternity. He is the source of all wisdom.
C. Hebrews 13:17 - We follow after those who lead in the church because their guidance benefits us
1. I Peter 5:5 - It shows humility
2. God watches over us to our benefit - I Peter 5:6-7
D. Ephesians 6:2 - Honor your father and mother
1. Hebrews 12:9 - Give respect to fathers who discipline us.
2. Notice that a parent doesn’t earn the respect of his children. Here the respect is due because of the position
a. But there is also respect because of the lessons learned, even if some are hard
3. Does a child show respect to his parents if he talks back or disregards what his father tells him to do?
a. No, it is a sign of disrespect.
b. There is no acknowledgment of the parent’s position
4. Isaiah 45:10 - Woe to those who say, “I didn’t ask to be born!”
5. Then consider that we are the work of God’s hand. We are here because He put us here - Isaiah 45:8-9
III. Do we acknowledge the position God holds in are life?
A. Malachi 1:6-14
1. They dishonored God by finding his table contemptible
2. They gave less than their best to God
3. They look down on the offerings
4. They declare God’s worship to be boring
5. Were the Israelites viewing God as above them or beneath them?
B. Do you not see the same today?
1. People are not satisfied with God’s commands
2. They want to liven up the worship. The people want to be entertained. The old forms of worship are too boring.
3. Service to God in worship is viewed as a chore instead of a time to give respect
C. We need to give God obedience - Luke 6:46
1. Not just an obedience in form, but also in mind. It is a willingness to do whatever the Lord asks
2. Yet too many approach God’s commands with “Do I have to?”
3. Others decide to edit God’s commands. “I’m sure God won’t mind if I do this instead.”
IV. Our service to God should be in reverence and awe
A. We must respect God for who He is
B. We must fear God for what He could do to us.
C. Do you revere God?