by Jeffrey W. Hamilton
Text: Jeremiah 14:10-16
I. Sharks are notorious for swallowing just about anything.
A. People have found books, bottles, tablecloths, and nails inside sharks
B. Clearly sharks have large appetites and indiscriminate tastes
C. There is a small fish known as the Sea Hedgehog or Urchin Fish.
1. This small fish has spikes all around that it can deploy by puffing itself up into a round ball when in danger
D. If a shark swallows a Sea Hedgehog,
1. The fish puffs itself up and his spines, slicing the shark’s throat and stomach,
2. Once in the stomach, the Sea Hedgehog eats its way out through the stomach and eventually out the side of the shark
3. Eventually the shark dies.
E. Unfortunately, there are people much like sharks, swallowing any idea that comes along.
II. A prophet told me ...
A. It is amazing how people will consult so-called prophets.
1. I get notes from people who want to know if they should get married or how to solve a marriage problem.
2. The answers are clearly the prophet’s own opinions and often are biblically incorrect.
B. A true prophet never contradicts God’s teachings - Deuteronomy 13:1-5
C. A true prophet, when speaking of the future, is always correct - Deuteronomy 18:20-22
D. But what is missing is the fact that prophecy ended - I Corinthians 13:8-10
E. Sadly there are people who prefer lies - Jeremiah 5:31
F. Don’t believe a prophet who doesn’t come from God - Jeremiah 29:8-9
III. The preacher told me ...
A. We are specifically told that there will be false teachers - II Peter 2:1
B. Before the destruction of Jerusalem there would be false teachers - Matthew 24:4-5
C. We are told not to believe everything we hear - I John 4:1
D. Satan and his followers do disguise themselves - II Corinthians 11:12-15
E. We check what they say - Acts 17:11
F. Check what comes from their life - Matthew 7:15-20
IV. I read a book that said ...
A. There are false teachers who deceive people - Colossians 2:4
B. False teachers speak great empty words - II Peter 2:18
C. They do so to promote themselves - Romans 16:18
D. Some people get bounced around by each new idea that comes along - Ephesians 4:14
E. Anything different is not to be accepted - Galatians 1:6-9
V. Do you swallow anything?
A. Some people believe everything they are told - Proverbs 14:15
B. Christians are to check - I Corinthians 5:12-13
C. Don’t put up with false teaching - II Corinthians 11:4