I am a Christian
By Cecil May,
Dean Emeritus, Faulkner University College of Biblical Studies,
in the October 2019 Gospel Advocate
- I am a disciple of Christ; I seek to learn from Him and follow Him…but I am not a Disciple of Christ.
- I am a methodist; I try to follow the biblical method…but I am not a Methodist.
- I am a baptist; I have been immersed in water for the forgiveness of my sins…but I am not a Baptist.
- I am catholic; Christ added me to His universal church…but I am not a Catholic.
- I am part of an assembly of God; we assemble each Lord’s day…but I am not of the Assemblies of God.
- I am presbyterian; my congregation is shepherded by elders (Greek, presbuteroi)…but I am not a Presbyterian.
- I am episcopalian; my congregation is overseen by bishops (Greek, episcopoi)…but I am not an Episcopalian.
- I am a member of a congregation which is Christian and independent…but I am not of the Independent Christian Church.
- I am a member of the church of Christ; He built it and purchased it with His blood…but I am not Church of Christ.
- I am a member of the church of God; He purposed it before the worlds began…but I am not Church of God.
By the grace of God, I am a Christian.