by Jeffrey W. Hamilton
Text: Romans 11:25-36
I. The age-old question: Why are we here?
A. To answer the question well, we first need to consider how did we get to “here.”
B. To do so begins to answer why we are “here.”
II. The prevalent answer today is to claim that it just happened
A. Life is said to evolve from lower life, which in turn evolved from non-life.
B. All of it is seen as merely an accident - there was no purpose or intent in what happened.
1. Yet the world is filled with interdependent systems where multiple subunits must be in place to create the overall. Any one missing piece creates a non-working, and often harmful, unit.
2. Think how many parts must come together just to create an eye or an ear.
3. Random accidents don’t produce complex systems. You don’t blow up a junkyard and get a Rolls-Royce.
C. What is interesting is that science contradicts this claim
1. The Law of Biogenesis states that life only comes from life. It does not spontaneously rise from non-life.
2. A “law” means that it is solidly proven and no known contradictory evidence exists.
3. Yet for evolution to be true, it requires this law to be broken
D. Like always produces like. There are variations with a species, but never a different form of life arising from another form of life.
1. Fish always produce fish. Corn always produce corn.
2. You don’t get corn from soybeans or wheat.
3. For decades people have looked for missing links to claim that like doesn’t always produce like. None has ever been found.
E. None of this begins to address why people are different from the animals
1. Why do we appreciate art, music, and poetry? Why are we creative and animals are not?
2. Why do we have a sense of right and wrong? Why do we feel guilty over doing things we know are wrong, even when we are not caught?
3. Do animals even wrestle with the question of where do we come from?
III. The Bible’s answer is that we have been purposely made
A. Genesis 1:1-2, 11-12, 24-28
1. Life came about by design
2. Life came from life - I Corinthians 8:6
3. Man is different because he is made in the image of God
B. Everything was made by God - Psalms 102:25-27; Acts 17:24-28
C. This explanation fits what we observe and know - Hebrews 3:4; Romans 1:18-21
IV. The purpose of the creation
A. It belongs to God - Ezekiel 18:4
1. It was made for Him - Colossians 1:16-17; Romans 11:36
2. Even the wicked still belong to God - Proverbs 16:4
3. Nothing exists without him - John 1:1-3
B. It is by His choice that we are saved - Hebrews 2:10
V. What God requires of us
A. To serve Him - Deuteronomy 6:2
B. To keep his commandments - Ecclesiastes 12:13-14
C. Not to make our lives miserable, but to be a blessing to us - I John 5:3