Text: John 18:1-11
I. Jesus and his disciples leave the upper room for the Garden of Gethsemane.
A. It was a place Jesus and his disciples frequently visited. One known by Judas.
B. Even though Judas had departed earlier (John 13:26-30) he could reasonably guess where Jesus’ next stop would be.
C. Jesus spent time praying - Luke 22:39-46
D. Judas, leading a large mob, including a cohort (about 600 men), officers of the priests, and Pharisees, came upon Jesus
1. The mob carried lanterns, torches, and weapons.
2. All for a single, unarmed man!
3. Judas identifies Jesus with a kiss - Mark 14:44-45; Luke 22:47-48
E. Jesus asked whom they were looking for
1. When they replied Jesus of Nazareth, Jesus answered “I am”
a. The “he” was added by translators.
b. This is interesting because “I am” is the name God told Moses to use - Exodus 3:14
c. This is not the only time Jesus calls himself by this particular phrase
(1) John 8:23-24
(2) John 8:50-59
(3) John 13:18-19
2. At the name of God, the entire mob fell - Philippians 2:10
3. The conversation was repeated
F. Jesus asks that the disciples be released, fulfilling a prophecy that he lost none of his followers.
1. Despite this, Peter draws a sword to defend Jesus.
2. This was the sword Jesus asked to be brought - Luke 22:36-38
3. It gave Jesus the opportunity to demonstrate power and compassion on those sent to arrest him. - Luke 22:49-53
4. Jesus said the event had to happen - Matthew 26:52-54
G. When Jesus is arrested, his disciples fled - Mark 14:50
1. A young man, having only a sheet wrapped around him, tried to follow, but when he too was seized, he slipped out of the sheet and ran - Mark 14:51-52