I Can Hear†††††††††††††††††††
Lesson text: Romans 10:14-17; Acts 8:26-39
Memory Verse: Romans 10:17
One day, there was a man traveling home from Jerusalem where he had gone to worship God.† He lived in Ethiopia, a country in Africa. He was a eunuch. He was in charge of all the treasure of Candace, the queen of Ethiopia. As he was riding in his chariot, he read God’s Word. He was reading a prophesy in the book of Isaiah about Jesus. But he did not
understand who Isaiah was talking about.
Have you ever read anything and not fully understood what it was talking about? Perhaps at school? There are many things that we may not understand the first time we read about them.
What do we need in order to understand these things? What we need is someone to explain it† to us. We need someone to teach us. But in order for them to teach us, we must be willing to listen and hear what they are teaching.
Phillip was sent by God to teach this eunuch from Ethiopia. As he approached the chariot, he asked the man, “Do you understand what you’re reading?” And the man told him, “How can I unless someone teaches me?” This man was willing to listen and hear what Phillip could teach him about that scripture. So Phillip climbed up in the chariot and began teaching him about Jesus.
After a while, the eunuch saw some water. He told the person driving the chariot to stop, and he asked Phillip “Here’s water! Why can’t I be baptized?” Phillip told him that he must believe with all his heart. The eunuch said “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.” So Phillip and the eunuch went into the water and Phillip baptized him. The eunuch was so happy, the Bible tells us that “He went on his way, rejoicing.” Rejoicing means to be extremely happy about something.
In reading this story, we can see that the eunuch was waiting to be taught. He was willing to hear what God wanted him to learn and do. If he didn’t want to hear what Phillip was teaching him, he never would have learned about Jesus. Is it important to hear?
Many people think that they don’t need to listen to others (like adults, teachers, parents)
because they don’t need or want the help. The man in our lesson today was in charge of all the money of an entire country. He was very powerful! But even he understood that he
needed to listen to people who knew more than he did about the Bible. We should follow his example and be ready to listen to people who know more about things than we do.
True or False
________†1. We do not need to hear about God’s Word.
________ 2. Faith comes by hearing God’s Word.
________ 3. Stephen taught the man from Ethiopia.
________ 4. This man was in charge of the whole military of Ethiopia.
________ 5. Ethiopia is a country in Africa.
________ 6. A person can believe in Jesus without ever hearing about Him.
Fill in the Blanks
1. God sent a man named _____________ to teach the Ethiopian eunuch.
2. The eunuch was riding in a ____________.
3. The eunuch had been worshipping God in the city of __________________.
4. Phillip taught him about ___________.
5. The man went on his way __________________.
6. Faith comes by hearing the _________ of ________.
What do the Words Mean?
1. Rejoicing† ________________________________________________________
2. Hearing† __________________________________________________________
3. Teach†† ___________________________________________________________
4. Believe† ___________________________________________________________
1. Have you ever needed help to learn something? If so, who did you ask for help? Why them?
2. Did the eunuch need to learn about Jesus? Why?
Solve the Riddles
1. I was a very rich and powerful woman. I allowed a man to be in charge of all my treasure. I lived in Africa. Who was I? _____________________
2. I was driven in a chariot on my way back from worshipping God in Jerusalem. I was in charge of all the treasure of my country. I read God’s Word, but I didn’t understand the part I was reading. Who was I? __________________________
3. I am a country in Africa. I had a queen named Candace. What country am I?
4. I was a gospel preacher. I taught a man in a chariot about Jesus. After teaching him, I also baptized him. Who was I? __________________
5. I was prophesied about in the Old Testament. The man in the chariot was reading about Me but did not understand it. The preacher that was sent by God taught that man about me. Who am I? _____________________
Remember Your Verse
Fill in each blank with one letter to make the words of your memory verse.
__ __† __ __ __ __† __ __ __ __ __† __ __ __ __ __† __ __† __ __ __ __ __ __ __,
__ __ __† __ __ __ __ __ __ __†† __ __ __† __ __ __ __† __ __† __ __ __. (Romans 10:17) (NKJV)