The Meaning of Life: Where Are You Going?
Text: Ecclesiastes 9:1-10
I. Having a goal in mind gives direction to the choices that you must make.
A. The meaning of life is more than what you are doing with your life right now. It is also where you are letting life take you.
B. One thing is certain, you are going to die - Hebrews 9:27
1. Charlton Heston said, “The world is a tough place. You’re never going to get out of it alive.”
C. Atheism and some other belief systems view death as the end.
1. If so, then meaning to life would revolve around getting the most out of life.
2. But the verse we just read says there is more than just death awaiting for us. There is a certainty of judgment as well.
II. What Judgment Means
A. Judgment means we are accountable for how we live our life
1. Such a belief permeates all religions. The criteria for the judgment varies, but there is always an understanding that what happens after death is determined by how life is lived.
2. God has a purpose for His creation and we are responsible for meeting that purpose.
a. II Corinthians 5:10 - Everyone judged by what they have done
b. Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 - Every thing judged, even the things done in secret
c. John 5:28-29 - How we live determines our destiny
3. The criteria is how we live our life - Romans 2:6-11
B. Judgment means there is more than this life
1. The righteous will inherit a kingdom prepared for them - Matthew 25:34
a. It is eternal life - Romans 2:7
2. The wicked also have a place prepared for them - Matthew 25:41
a. It too is eternal - Matthew 25:46
C. How do we know what is after death?
1. Because someone has died and has returned to tell us - Acts 17:30-31
2. That death and resurrection is firmly proven - I Corinthians 15:1-8
3. If it were not true, then there would be no hope - I Corinthians 15:12-19
4. But it is true, the one who returned is our judge - I Corinthians 4:3-5
5. The preaching of this is at Christ’s command - Acts 10:42
D. A day has been appointed for the judgment - II Timothy 4:1
1. It is not a question of “if” but of “when”
III. So where are you going?
A. We’ve all sinned - Romans 3:23
1. We are all guilty of sin - I John 1:8, 10
2. If that were the end of the story then each of our destinies would be sealed - Romans 6:23
B. Jesus, however, came for the purpose of offering eternal life
1. Romans 5:6-10 - Reconciled to God by Jesus’ death
2. John 3:16 - It was Jesus’ purpose in life
C. The work was done, but how do you respond to the offer?
1. Listen to God’s teachings - Romans 10:14-17
2. Believe the message - John 8:24; Romans 5:1-2
3. Conform your life to that teaching - Acts 3:19
4. Be bold in your belief - Matthew 10:32-33
5. Access the gift - Romans 6:3-7; Acts 2:38
IV. It is time to find purpose and meaning to your life
A. We’ve all seen cheap goods sold. They sit on the shelves, bright and shinny on the surface, covering the cheap materials underneath.
1. How do you know? You check it out. You investigate it quality
B. Friends, Satan offers a cheap life of pleasure that appears bright and shiny on the surface, but it has no worth - Matthew 7:16-20
2. What makes life better? What makes it worth living? What follows you into eternity?
C. God has given the answer in His Word.