The Benefits of False Teaching
Text: Romans 8:18-39
I. It is said there is a silver lining in every cloud
A. Paul tells us that God can turn even wicked events to the advantage of the righteous (Romans 8:18-39)
B. But it is hard to imagine any good coming from the work of those who teach against our Lord.
II. There will be false teachers among God’s people (II Peter 2:1-3)
A. Because of them, many will be lead to destruction along with the deceivers.
B. It was prophesied that Christians would depart from the faith, following after false teachings. (I Timothy 4:1-3)
C. Not only would God allow this to happen, but Jesus said it is impossible for it not to happen. (Luke 17:1-2)
1. It doesn’t make the offender any more acceptable to God.
2. God will still punish those who lead His people astray.
3. Yet, these people must come (Matthew 18:7)
III. Why does God allow it? Why must it happen?
A. I Corinthians 11:17-19 - There will be divisions among Christians
1. The factions show who is approved by God.
2. Some growth takes place with people have to use their knowledge to combat wrong - Hebrews 5:13-14
a. The Bible is our sword in a war against Satan - Ephesians 6:10-20
b. But few would be accomplished sword fighters if they never entered a battle.
c. Coming from a long lineage of sword fighters won’t help
B. I John 2:18-19 - Some depart from the church to show they are not a part of us
1. The fact that the faithful Christians stand against their false teachings serves as a spotlight on their actions.
2. Few people would notice falsehood if others did not point it out to them.
C. Deuteronomy 13:1-3 - False prophets are allowed by God
1. God uses them to test how committed we are to the Lord.
2. It is easy to claim to love God when there is no resistance
3. But will we love God when someone is actively trying to persuade us to leave God for something else?
4. We cannot know until we have been tested.
D. Luke 2:34-35 - Jesus himself caused the rising and falling of many people
1. He was the stone of stumbling, the point of decision - I Peter 2:4-10
2. Shows the hearts of the people. Not just the outward acknowledgment, but the true inward feelings of a person.
3. Romans 9:30-33 - Division comes because some lack faith in God
IV. There are benefits to false teaching
A. Not to the teachers or those lead astray. For them destruction is awaiting.
B. But for those who overcome, who successfully resists the wiles of the devil - strength and joy. - James 1:2-4