At Peace with God
Text: Romans 5:1-11
I. How do you know that God has actually forgiven you?
A. It is a frequent question. People make mistakes, fall into sins, and though they struggled back out of those sins, they still wonder whether God could ever forgive such a sinner as themselves. Perhaps God has totally rejected them because they went to far and did too much damage.
B. They can’t accept themselves, so why should God?
II. We can have peace with God - Romans 5:1
A. It comes when we put our trust in Jesus
B. It was announced as so when Jesus was born - Luke 2:13-14
C. It was what Jesus offered his own disciples
1. Prior to his death, Jesus warned the disciples that they would abandon him at a critical time - Matthew 26:31-35
2. When he was arrested - Matthew 26:56
3. And after denying Jesus three times - Matthew 26:73-75
4. Yet, when Jesus visited them after his resurrection - John 20:19
III. We stand in God’s grace - Romans 5:2
A. Faith in Jesus gives us access to God’s grace
1. Not just a one shot gift that saves us, but one in which becomes our foundation in life - Ephesians 2:4-10
2. It comes through the gospel message - I Corinthians 15:1-2
B. If we walk in the light – obedient to truth - I John 1:5-7
1. This is not to say we won’t fall - I John 1:8-10
2. But that if we take our stand in righteousness and renounce our sins, Jesus will take care of our sins
3. God is able to make us stand - Romans 14:4
IV. We can exult in hope - Romans 5:2-5
A. When we realize we have peace with God through Jesus Christ and stand in God’s grace, then we can rejoice in our hope
1. Instead of looking at my poor abilities to do as God asked and getting discouraged.
2. Instead, standing in God’s grace, I realize that despite my failures, God will forgive me, cleanse me, and keep me safe.
B. It is a joy so strong that it survives hardship, attacks, criticism, and persecution.
1. Whatever the world throws at us, our joy doesn’t waiver.
2. James 1:2-4 - We don’t see the hard times but the opportunity to grow
3. It is not the situation that creates happiness, but the trust in God that we are saved by His grace
V. We are saved from the wrath of God - Romans 5:8-10
A. God’s anger comes upon the disobedient - Ephesians 5:5-7
B. It is shown against the ungodly and unrighteous - Romans 1:18
C. Each of us sins. We deserve to face God’s anger.
D. But God went out of His way to show us love - John 3:16
1. Not because we were deserving - Romans 5:6-8
2. And that is the point we need to realize. When we say we don’t deserve to be saved, then we are rejecting God’s gift and His love toward us.
3. But when we trust in Jesus and the sacrifice that he made for us, the gracious gift that God offered us, then we can have peace and joy.
E. The anger is removed. We are reconciled to God - II Corinthians 5:18-21
1. But the gift must be accepted by putting on Christ’s death - Romans 6:3-4
2. We may stumble, but if we walk in the light, we can be cleansed - I John 1:7
3. I John 2:1-6 - Won’t you obey this day?