Preaching and Evangelism
Preaching is a work within the church
- Men were called evangelist: Acts 21:8; II Timothy 4:5
- Christ appointed some men as evangelists - Ephesians 4:11
- The word translated evangelism comes from a Greek word used to describe the bringing the joyous news of victory from the battlefront. It is often translated as "preaching the gospel" as in Romans 1:15.
- The same work is called preaching - II Corinthians 1:19, I Timothy 2:7, II Timothy 1:11
- The word translated preaching comes from a Greek word for a herald or town-crier.
- The same work is called ministry - Romans 15:15-16; Ephesians 3:6-7; Colossians 1:23; I Timothy 4:6
- The word translated ministering comes from a Greek word for a serving. This same word is used for a servant, a deacon, and a preacher. The context defines its usage.
- Preaching and ministering are used for the same work - Colossians 1:24-25
- Evangelism and ministering are used for the same work - II Timothy 4:5
- Preachers hold authority - Titus 2:15
The work of a preacher
- An evangelist is to build up Christians to maturity - Ephesians 4:11-13
- A minister reaches out to the lost - Romans 15:15-16
- A preacher proclaims the good news of salvation - Romans 1:15-16, I Timothy 4:16
- A preacher rebukes those in error - II Timothy 4:2, I Timothy 4:1-6
- A preacher reproves those who teach error - II Timothy 4:2
- A preacher exhorts people to live in accordance with God's will - I Timothy 4:13; II Timothy 4:2; Titus 2:15
- A preacher teaches - I Timothy 4:11, 13
- A preacher speaks, which can include speaking in the worship service - Titus 2:1, 15; 3:8; I Corinthians 14:26
- A preacher teaches other Christians to become teachers - II Timothy 2:2
- A preacher sets an example for others to follow - I Timothy 4:12
- A preacher is involved in the selection of elders - Titus 1:5
- A preacher is involved in the rebuking of elders who sin - I Timothy 5:17-21
- A preacher is involved in organizing a congregation - Titus 1:5
- A preacher guards the truth - I Timothy 6:20-21; 1:3-4; 1:18-19; II Timothy 1:13-14; Titus 1:13-14
- A preacher must study - II Timothy 2:15
Who can be a preacher?
- A woman cannot be a preacher - Titus 2:15; I Timothy 2:12
- A man can serve as both a preacher and an elder - I Timothy 5:17